Organized on May 7, 1789, the First Presbyterian Church of Hallstead was the first church in Susquehanna County. The cornerstone for the current building was laid in 1895 and the building was dedicated on May 7, 1896. Over the years, the kitchen, fellowship hall and additional classrooms were added and the basement was dug out by hand. For over two centuries members of this congregation have been serving our Lord Jesus Christ through worship, mission and evangelism. Come be a part of where the Lord is leading us in the new century!
- To proclaim Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior to all humankind.
- To open our doors and ourselves to all people in our community.
- To show love to our neighbors through Christ-centered community action.
What We Believe
- There is one God, the creator of all that exists, who has revealed himself in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit
- Jesus the Son of God was born of the virgin Mary; he became flesh and lived among us. He is the perfect revelation of God's nature.
- Jesus, the sinless fully human and fully divine God, willingly suffered the agony and humiliation of crucifixion, and bore the wrath that we justly deserve as punishment for our sins and rebellion against God. Through his shed blood our sins can be forgiven and we can be reconciled to God.
- Salvation is by God’s grace alone through faith in Jesus Christ alone.
- The Bible is God's inspired and authoritative Word to us for faith and life. It is the manual for living as God intended us to live abundant and prosperous lives of faith, hope and love!
- Worship is our joyful response to God's majesty, holiness, and love.
- The decision to follow Jesus calls us to purity in every area of our lives.
- The gospel of grace through repentance and belief in Jesus Christ transcends race, language, and culture.
- We are called to love God with all our hearts, all our minds, all our souls, and all our strength. We are also called to love one another and our neighbors as Jesus loves us.
- All human life is sacred from conception to natural death, because we have all been created in God's own image. The decision to take or to keep life is solely God’s.
- Prayer is the key that unlocks God's power for Christian life and ministry.
- The goal of our ministry is to transform people into fully devoted followers of Jesus Christ.
- All spiritual gifts are at work in Christ's church, and are given for the common good.
- God has given every Christian unique gifts by which they are to bring glory to his name, in order to strengthen his body, the church.
- Jesus will one day return in glory to reign over the New Heaven and the New Earth. Ever so, come Lord Jesus, come!
- In the meantime, as commanded by Jesus Christ, and empowered by the Holy Spirit, we are to “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations”. So we will go into this community, into this state, into this country, and into the world to share the good news of Jesus Christ with everyone God puts in our path.